I have been traveling around the country full-time as a professional speaker for many years. I love delivering the keynote speech at conferences, conventions, and special events. Meeting planners often ask me questions like, “Is there anything we could have done better? What can we do to improve?” My normal answer is – “It’s all about the details.” Those with less experience often miss some of the fine points that can make the difference between a successful event and one that leaves people feeling disappointed, empty, and unimpressed. When it comes to working with speakers, here are some of the most important things business leaders can do to assure a good experience for everyone:
1. Have a high-quality microphone and sound system.
2. Be prepared to introduce the speaker.
3. Arrange technology.
4. Be clear about the schedule.
5. Don’t use the speaker’s slot to adjust scheduling.
6. Try to not schedule the speech during a meal.
7. Have a well-lit elevated speaker’s platform/stage.
8. Have a good seating arrangement.
9. Don’t distract.